Welcome to the Prairie Hens Blog!


The Praire Hens Blog was created to help keep our Henhouse Helpers and other hen friends
informed and educated about our chicken flock at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm in Grayslake, Illinois.

Learn more about us at our website: Prairie Crossing Learning Farm




Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hen House Helpers, hens and hawks -- oh my!

I have had the pleasure of volunteering at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm for almost a year now. I was so excited for the opportunity to care for (but mostly pick up and pet) chickens! Since last December I have gone to the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm in Grayslake as much as I could to see those little balls of fluff, and every time I’ve been delighted with the squawking, energetic hens awaiting me.

Perhaps that’s why, only several weeks ago, I was especially surprised to walk in and spot a bird in flight in the henhouse! Somehow a clever hawk had made its way into the henhouse and was swooping over the poor chickens. My mother and I panicked and ran to get help.

Luckily two farmers were just next door. They ran into the Hen House and tried coaxing the hawk outside, but had no luck. As soon as the other helpers left to get more equipment, my mother opened a large side door and the hawk successfully flew out of the Hen House.

This experience demonstrates how in touch with animals we seem to have gotten since volunteering! Between watching them grow and (sort of) saving their little lives, volunteering at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm has always been exciting.

Hen House Helper "D"

[Editor's note: Thank you to "D" and her parents for volunteering as Hen House Helpers! Thanks also for sharing this story with our blog readers.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.