Welcome to the Prairie Hens Blog!


The Praire Hens Blog was created to help keep our Henhouse Helpers and other hen friends
informed and educated about our chicken flock at the Prairie Crossing Learning Farm in Grayslake, Illinois.

Learn more about us at our website: Prairie Crossing Learning Farm




Monday, May 20, 2013

Eggs with Asparagus and Mushrooms


Cooking with Eggs Again!
by Sharon Gaughan, PCLF Education Program Director

On Sunday I attended my favorite antique fair in Elkhorn, Wisconsin.  In addition to many, many antique venders, this fair also has a few farmer's market stands.  Once I'd made it through all the antiques (which took about 4 hours!), I stopped to see what foods they had to offer.  

The asparagus immediately caught my eye.  Spring is asparagus season -- so if you want to eat with the seasons, this is the time!  




On the very same table they were also offering several types of mushrooms -- including my favorite, baby portabellas!




I immediately envisioned some scrambled eggs with the addition of sauteed asparagus and the portabella mushrooms. Of course, I already had the necessary eggs at home -- so I decided to buy some of both the asparagus and the baby bellas.  As I made the drive back home, I was looking forward to dinner that night!

As evening fell and it was time to start the cooking, I sauteed some onion and garlic in addition to the asparagus and mushrooms.  And once the eggs were scrambled, and the veggies added, I topped it all with a bit of Monterrey Jack cheese. 

Ah!  A simple, but most delicious feast!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.